Sunday, July 6, 2008

Don't believe the hype....


Chuck D & Co. definitely said it best. And, in video games, the axiom still holds true.

Shocking as it might sound, I traded in Halo 3 the other day. Tuesday, to be precise.

Yup, you read it correctly folks. I traded in Halo 3. Come to think of it, I traded in Assassin's Creed as well.

You see, sometimes hype can just blind a gamer. You think you're playing the greatest game ever, and mostly that's only because you're being TOLD that it's the greatest game ever.

It's funny. When I used to play Nintendo games, and even Super Nintendo games, I can't really recall watching television commercials that told me what games were worth buying. I don't even recall articles in magazines that told me what games to buy. Back then, the only source that told me what games to buy were my friends.

I'll repeat that. The only source that told me what games to buy were friends.

Yup. No magazines, no commercials. Just the simple, good ol' "word on the street".

And, you know what? When it came to Halo 3, the word on the street wasn't that good.

It's amazing, isn't it? Millions are dollars in advertising, on internet, tv, and magazines, and yet I can't think of a single person who raved about how good Master Chief's third outing was. Actually, when it came to talking about Halo 3, I mostly heard:

"yeah, it's okay, but I thought Halo 2 was better."

Yup. Despite all of the hype, and all of the marketing, the game still couldn't compare to it's predecessor.

But, despite the aforementioned word on the street, I still bought into the hype. I preordered, and I waited on line like everybody else.

And, try as I did, I couldn't stick with it.

Maybe it was the repetitive enemies. One can only shoot up Covenant members for so long.
Who knows? All I know is that after logging in about four hours, I turned off the game two weeks ago, and still haven't had the urge to turn it back on.

That's usually the best sign, isn't it? Having no desire to continue playing.

Meanwhile, I finally got around to playing the demo for Bioshock a few weeks ago. A couple of days after I played, I still thought about the game, and looked forward to playing again. Since then, I did purchase the game. With the money that I got back from selling back Halo 3.

Oh, and by the way, I still haven't heard a bad word about Bioshock, from those same words on the street. In fact, I tend to hear phrases like "that game's sick!", or, "You haven't played that yet?! What's wrong with you?". You get the picture.

So, the moral of the story? The next time you're looking for a reliable review of a game, look no further than the "contacts" list on your cell phone.

The word on the street still rules.

No comments: